Noel Austin coat of arms

Noel Austin coat of arms

Friday, January 07, 2022

Mr JE Barton

My father, Ken Austin, was born in 1908 and grew up in Sandford, near Winscombe, North Somerset, where his father was the village postman and ran an apple orchard. Dad attended Redcliffe Endowed School and was then apprenticed to Wake & Dean, cabinet makers in Yatton.

When I was awarded a scholarship place at BGS in 1955 my father recalled an experience from his early working life. Wake & Dean were awarded the contract to equip the new library at Bristol Grammar School and, as an apprentice, my father became part of the on-site team. Most Wake & Dean clients dealt only with the foreman, and then as little as possible. However, at BGS the then Headmaster, Mr JE Barton, was in the habit of visiting the library to inspect progress. When he did, he spoke to every member of the on-site team, including the lowly apprentice. My father remembered being deeply impressed.

Postscript

After writing this piece I Googled Barton and was astonished to come up with this:

https://stradlingcollection.wordpress.com/the-bauhaus-in-bristol/the-bristol-legacy-je-barton-ken-stradling-and-the-bristol-guild/

No wonder my father was impressed by meeting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.