Noel Austin coat of arms

Noel Austin coat of arms

Thursday, February 04, 2010

My influences: Mr Halls ("Henry")

In my third year at Bristol Grammar School I was in form 5B, and the distinction between fee paying and scholarship pupils had completely disappeared; we were confident, at ease, having enormous fun.

Our English teacher was Mr Halls - nicknamed "Henry" with no great creativity after "Henry Hall's Guest Night" which was a variety show still running on the Home Service on Saturday evenings. English was not my favourite subject - I was 28th out of 30 and dreaded English lessons when they came. Every week, I think, we had a essay to write on some subject or other; my mother, who had been a primary school teacher before I was born, took a close interest in this and insisted that I should write essays that satisfied her criteria.

About four weeks into the year Mr Halls called me up to talk to him at the end of the lesson. "Austin", he said "is it your mother or your father who helps you with your essays?" Acutely embarrassed, I admitted it was my mother. "Please tell her", he said, "that in future I would like to see your work rather than hers." When I got home the balloon went up and I gave to understand that, under no circumstances, would I accept any interference in future.

I finished the year 2nd out of 30 in English. In my adult life I have written a book, a number of articles and countless essays, papers and think pieces, and writing is one of my two most important creative outlets.

Thank you, Mr Halls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.